Skip to main content

Brewing in the Basement




As I sat and sipped my coffee in a trendy London cafe, I reflected on an incredible night of Theatre hosted by Jess Thom the Tourettes Hero.

If you don't know Jess Thom, she is a super hero.   She is a super hero with Tourette Syndrome, she is is one of my idols. (Check out the link for more on Jess and her adventures:  https://www.touretteshero.com/)

Here in this moment I felt a real sense of contentment as I pondered what I was going to bring back to Plymouth from this amazingly positive experience at the Pit Party. I felt inspired and wished all events and theatre shows were like this. 

My brother and I went to the London Barbican Centre to attend the Touretteshero Pit Party- Brewing in the Basement. This hands down, was the best theatre experience I have ever had.  I was beyond excited to the point where I completely let go with my TS and I felt 100% welcome, accepted and 'normal'. 

The whole evening was BSL interpreted, there was a resting place for guide dogs, and cushions at the front of the Sage for chill time- every persons access need was thought of in great detail. This celebration showcased high quality inclusive performances at professional level.  Performances included Amelia Cavallo a blind burlesque dancer, her performance was audio described, Captain Hotknives-Bradfords bipolar anarchist rock star and band The Fish Police.

It was great to finally see Jess's work and meet her in person.  She has been there for me in my recent diagnosis and given me life changing advice and support, she always responds to my messages no matter what she is going through herself. She makes me feel privileged to have TS.  In fact, she was the person who made me realise I had TS. Her commitment and openness about her condition, her TV presence and fame, has meant that there is so much more information out there for people and TS is portrayed in a positive, fun and creative light.  As a resource Tourette's Hero has been invaluable and many more people are starting to open up about their experiences because of this.

Tonight I could be myself.  I have developed an anxiety about going to the theatre...which is devastating, because it is part of my work and passion and I often don't end up going to shows I really want to see. My tics change and fluctuate and I never know how it's going to go. 

Here I felt liberated. I ticked my ass off, it was fine because people we're with me and doing it too and it was socially acceptable. I developed a new tic where I stuck my middle finger up at people...it felt comfortable and OK to do this.

It annoys me that people are so uptight about the traditions of theatre etiquette, that disabled people are often separated. At the same time I loved that this night was for me, I could be a part of this secret club, where you can say whatever, move in whatever way, and not give a Tic.

Those who vocally ticed added to the atmosphere and performance and it was welcomed.  I particularly like the use of the word sausage throughout the performances and how the performers would react to what was being thrown their way.  I myself work have worked in integrated arts for a very long time and it is the first time I have accessed an integrated event like this for my own benefit, I really appreciated it and needed it. There was no tension running through my body from suppressing it, I could relax.

Let's make all performances relaxed like this. If someone is sat next to you in the theatre or cinema and coughs... Whatever! Don't stress, if someone fidgets or screams... Whatever... Let's just enjoy what goes on around us, be in the present, it might mean that really exciting things could happen that you never thought could.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tic Files

I have Tourette Syndrome...and I want to learn more about it. I also want to spread awareness of this often misrepresented condition.  I have obsessively watched documentaries, youtube videos, read blogs, books...and no TS experience is the same or like mine, because it is different for everyone.  So I guess I am going to use this very self indulgent blog to explore TS... my TS, and hope that I educate people along the way. Like any disability or condition most people find it hard to describe what they experience or *tic* one box when it comes to explaining it. It's a beautiful spectrum of colour and uniqueness. To keep myself in check and so that I don’t babble on about all sorts of nonsense, I am going to have 3 key themes: Information and awareness: - When I started searching on the internet about TS pre to my diagnosis,  I didn’t find a lot of information that related to my version!  I want to add into the mix of what is out there on the world wide web and